NFVF: 20 years of Democracy Documentary projects call
As South Africa prepares to celebrate 20 years of Democracy, the NFVF has chosen this as the theme for four documentary films to be produced with the aim of screening in 2014. The films will take into account the transition to democracy and will ask a variety of engaging questions about its impact on our lives. The questions may be applied to various subjects, including culture, trends, music, urban spaces, communities, activism, politics and social issues, to name a few.
Terms of Reference
The call proposes to allocate four production companies R500k each to produce one film in keeping with the theme.
The films which emerge from this process need to meet the NFVF's desire for content that moves beyond information and education to the presentation of unique perspectives on South Africa's realities utilizing engaging characters and exploring original points of view.
20 years of Democracy. Proposals should think laterally about what 20 years of democracy means in South Africa.
The panel will be on the lookout for:
- Concepts with a strong and clear premise
- Concepts that aim for objectivity, while still presenting a clear point of view
- Fresh and quirky takes on the theme
- Concepts that can be delivered by March 2014
In order for a production company to be considered for this opportunity, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- South African citizens or permanent residents
- Producer demonstrates some knowledge with packaging and marketing of documentary films.
- Producer and Production Company to have clean industry record.
- Production Company must provide evidence of business ideas that demonstrate the potential to deliver quality projects.
- Production Company should have completed at least 3 (three) documentary films which have been broadcast on television or exhibited in a festival.
Selection Criteria for Projects
- A strong written concept for a standalone film with a clearly thought out premise or controlling idea that would allow it to be packaged with the other 3 projects with the theme of "20 years of Democracy".
- The length of the film should be for a television hour.
- The films can be in early stages of pre-production or late development.
- Knowledge of target audience.
- Distribution potential.
- Solid production budget experience.
- The producer must demonstrate a plan to complete and deliver the project by March 2014.
All applications should be able to provide the following documentation in hard copy (in triplicate) for consideration:
- Detailed synopsis
- Character bible
- Consent forms
- Resumes for key creative team
- Proposed production schedule
- Original tax clearance certificate
- Certified copy of identity document
- Company registration documents
Closing Date: 30th August 2013
For more information contact: Neiloe Khunyeli